Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Farewell to . . .

Today is my last official day as the Writing Center secretary. I have to say, it is quite a sad thing for me. I started working at the Writing Center two years ago-- I wasn't even engaged yet. A lot has happened since that day. I remember meeting Penny and being slightly intimidated. I remember my first days at the Writing Center and feeling incredibly uncomfortable as "The Greats" such as Ryan, James, Jenny, and Danny milled about. When I started, I didn't even know what the Writing Center was. I quickly learned the art of goldenrods (something which many of you still don't understand). I learned the intricate quirks of the copy machine. I learned how to interpret Penny's handwriting. Pretending I have been on time for all my shifts, I have logged approximately 2,086 hours as the secretary in the writing center. It's true I will be back in the summer as the grammar tutor, but it's just not the same. Quite honestly, I am sad to leave this job. I am terrified to join the "real world" in August and find a real-live adult person job. I feel like this last day requires some navel gazing, but it's all too trite for me to blog about. I'm cleaning out my shelf. I'm deleting all my work off the computer. And so . . . Writing Center. I say farewell to you. Farewell pretty silver nameplate. Farewell, Kronos. Farewell, stat sheets. Farewell, fancy, wonderful stapler. Farewell, comfy chair. Farewell, Writing Center.

3 comments:

Cathryn said...

Awwww!
Courtney!

...I don't know what else to say.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Courtney-- you are my Writing Center. I've been so glad to get to know you. And hopefully will continue.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

...to get to know you.